Sunday, December 3, 2017

Red Curry Salmon & Vegetable Soup with Wonton Wrapper Noodles for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

Today's soup is all about my cravings and wants--red curry, salmon, noodles, a desire for a quick and easy soup, and reading something (I cant remember exactly what or where it was but I am guessing it came into my e-mail box) about the idea of cutting up wonton or eggroll wrappers and using them as noodles in soup. It sounded like a good idea to me--especially since I had a package of them in my fridge that needed to be used up this month.


It all comes together in this easy, flavorful bowl of curry noodly goodness.


Red Curry Salmon & Vegetable Soup with Wonton Wrapper Noodles
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 4 )

1 Tbsp coconut oil or oil of choice
3 Tbsp red curry paste or laksa paste, or to taste
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
1/2 Tbsp ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 to 5 baby bok choy, separated--larger, harder stem pieces chopped into 1/2-inch pieces & leaves and tender stems & chopped into 2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups shelled edamame, thawed
4 cups vegetable stock of choice
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
12 oz salmon fillets, skin removed and fish cut into 1-inch pieces
12 or so fresh wonton skins/wrappers, sliced into strips
1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
fresh lime juice, optional
sesame seeds, optional

Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add coconut oil and red curry paste, cooking for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and baby bok choy stems and saute for another 3 minutes.

Add the edamame, broth, soy sauce, and tamari and bring soup to a slow roiling boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the wonton strips, making sure to add them a few at a time and gently stirring to make sure they don't stick together. As soon as you have added all of the wonton strips, add the salmon and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, or until salmon is just cooked through and wonton noodles are tender. 

Stir in the coconut milk and bok choy leaves--stirring very gently so as not to break up the salmon and wonton noodles.Taste and add more curry paste, salt, or other seasoning (such as lime juice) as needed or desired.

Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and with lime juice and chili oil on the side if desired and enjoy!

Notes/Results: For a quick and simple soup, this one really hit the spot for me today with a nice level of spice, great red curry flavor, lots of noodles and a silky coconut broth. It isn't heavy but the salmon, mushroom and edamame make it satisfying. I liked the size and texture of the wonton strip noodles--easily spoon-up-able. Had I been more ambitious, I might have fried up some of the strips and put them on top but I'll save that for next time. I would happily make this soup again. 


A quiet week in the Souper Sundays kitchen but my good friend Tina is hanging out with me--let's have a look at she brought!


From Squirrel Head Manor Tina shares her tasty Butternut Squash Soup and says, "I'm fairly well pleased with the little things in life....such as the abundance of butternut squash in the market. Yes!  It's so good roasted with apples and carrots and the leftovers make a fine soup. Doug grilled a beautiful fillet of Golden Tile fish so I roasted veggies to go along for a side. ...after we enjoyed the roasted veg I dropped it in a processor and blitzed away until it was nearly smooth.  Next time I will make it smoother. The taste was good, but it needed more broth. So I'll do that next time."
 

Mahalo to Tina for joining me at Souper Sundays this week! 

Souper Sundays is back with a new format of a picture link each week where anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches any time during the week and I post a recap of the entries the following week.)

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 

If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:


  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on the post you link up to be included.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (optional).




Have a happy, healthy week!
 

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of cutting up wontons and using them as noodles. How fun! Looks like a tasty soup.

    Tina is right up my alley this week. I have been craving butternut squash and eating it like no one's business.

    Think I linked up right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great-looking soup! I am going to bookmark your recipe also because I just bought for the first time ever a small jar of red curry paste so this is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's genius using wontons! I brought you eggplant sliders. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)