Friday, February 10, 2017

Chickpea Wraps with Celery, Dill and Mustard

Having a simple salad made up and ready to go--along with baby greens and a package of large tortillas or flatbread--makes it easy to toss together a satisfying sandwich wrap for lunch or dinner. Heidi Swanson's Chickpea Wraps with Celery, Dill and Mustard has a salad base that keeps well and the flavors develop even more as the ingredients intermingle.  


Chickpea Wraps with Celery, Dill and Mustard
Adapted From Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson
(Serves 4)
 
3 cups cooked chickpeas  2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup minced shallots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp dried dill or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill, or to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon-style or stone-ground mustard (I used 1/2 Dijon and 1/2 spicy stone-ground mustard)
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste (I used 1/2 tsp celery salt + a dash of sea salt)

(I added plenty of freshly-ground black pepper)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed, and a bit of grated zest (I used extra lemon juice and zest)
4 pieces lavash flatbread or 12-inch whole wheat tortillas (I used multi-grain tortillas)
2 cups mixed salad greens (I used a local "power mix" of baby kale, arugula & mustard greens)


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mustard, yogurt and salt. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the yogurt sauce across each piece of lavash or tortilla.

Pulse 2/3 of the chickpeas in a food processor a few times, just enough to break them up. Transfer them to the mixing bowl with the remaining yogurt sauce, along with the remaining chickpeas, shallots, celery and dill. Gently toss to combine then add the lemon juice and zest and toss again. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice, if needed.

Sprinkle each wrap with 1/4 of the mixed greens (the yogurt will help hold the greens in place), top each of the four wraps with 1/4 of the chickpea mixture. Fold or roll into a wrap and serve.
 

Notes/Results: I really enjoyed the mix of flavors and textures in this salad. Keeping some of the chickpeas whole, along with the crunchy celery and the crisp greens keep it from being mushy and the tangy mustard yogurt sauce, lemon juice, and fresh dill (along with the celery salt and black pepper I added) give great flavor and keeps it light and fresh rather than heavy or gloppy. I felt like I wanted a bit more of a flavor punch to my salad and I have become semi-addicted to celery salt, so I added it, plenty of freshly-ground black pepper, extra lemon juice, and I used a combination of Dijon and a spicy stone ground mustard in the dressing. I served my sandwich with my favorite dill pickle kettle chips but if you don't want to eat it as a wrap, a couple of scoops of the salad would be great over lettuce or tucked in a rice bowl. I would make this again. 

 
This post is linking up at I Heart Cooking Clubs where this week's theme is our Monthly Featured Ingredient Challenge: Stuffed or Filled Dishes. I think these well-stuffed wraps are a good fit. You can see what others made by checking out the picture links on the post.

  
I am also linking this sandwich wrap up to this week's Souper Sundays, hosted weekly here at Kahakai Kitchen. If you aren't familiar, Souper Sundays is my weekly soup tribute that includes sandwiches, and salads and is open to anyone and everyone who wants to share a soup, salad, or sandwich post that week. You can see the details for joining in on the current weekly post here--we would love to have you!


Happy Aloha Friday!
 

6 comments:

  1. I love the look of these wraps. I've used chickpeas in sandwiches before but never with this particular flavor profile. Will give it a try as I'm always looking for veggie recipes my husband will eat, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look just my sort of thing - could make them with dried dill but am sure fresh would be better - I have a favourite chickpea salad but it uses mayo which I don't always have so this sounds a great standby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lunch! This has my name written all over it, it looks delicious and filling. I like the idea of serving it over lettuce or in a wrap of lettuce and in a bowl as well. Quick, easy, delicious, and it's right there waiting for you when you need it, a winning combination of things all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you know this is a wrap after my own heart! Some of my all-time favorite ingredients in here! Funny you mentioned loving celery salt lately. I also love it and have been eyeing her recipe for homemade celery salt. In fact, I'm thinking about making it and actually posting it. You know it has to be delicious, and I'm sure you'd find all kinds of things to sprinkle it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I'd like to make, this sounds very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a delicious recipe. I love chickpea wraps and I basically put mustard on everything. Very excited to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)