Saturday, February 6, 2016

Ellie Krieger's Aromatic (Veggie) *Noodle* Bowl with Lime-Peanut Sauce

Sometimes I just crave a big noodle bowl, full of fresh veggies and a yummy sauce and I have been meaning to make Ellie Krieger's Aromatic Noodles with Lime-Peanut Sauce for a while now. Since I am avoiding wheat presently, I could have used a gluten-free noodle, such as a rice noodle, but I have been having fun with my recently purchased Inspiralizer and wanted to make an all-veggie bowl of goodness (covered in delectable lime-peanut sauce of course).
 

I have become a big fan of turnip noodles as they have great texture and absorb flavors really well. I was reading that carrot noodles have a whole wheat pasta vibe when lightly boiled, so I thought the two would be a nice mix as my noodle base. 


Aromatic Noodles with Lime Peanut Sauce
Adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger
(Serves 6)

12 oz (3/4box) whole grain spaghetti (I used turnip and carrot spiralized noodles)
2 cups broccoli florets (I used local string beans)
2 cups snow peas, trimmed
2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter (I used freshly ground, no salt, natural)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce (I used 1/2 low-sodium soy sauce / 1/2 coconut aminos)
1/4 cup water (hot water works best for firm peanut butter)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
3/4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
2 Tbsp brown sugar (I used 1 Tbsp coconut sugar)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse. (I spiralized one very large carrot and a medium turnip on the smallest (spaghetti noodle size) blade, then cooked them (separately) for 2-3 minutes in boiling water, drained them, gently squeezed out any excess water and patted them dry.)

While the pasta is cooking, put the broccoli in a steamer basket over a large pot of boiling water and steam for 3 minutes. Add in the snow peas and sugar snap peas and steam for 2 minutes more--until veggies are crisp-tender

Toast peanuts in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Be sure to shake the pan or stir frequently to prevent burning.  

Make the sauce by pureeing the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Right before serving, toss the noodles with 3/4 cup of the peanut sauce. Divide among bowls and top with the vegetables. Drizzle the remaining sauce or the vegetables (or serve it on the side.) the veggies and peanut sauce. Sprinkle with the toasted peanuts (you can chop them if desired). Serve.


Notes/Results: I would probably be happy just licking the Lime-Peanut Sauce from a spoon. ;-) It is a nice combination of tangy, savory and slightly sweet. I have been cooking with coconut sugar lately, so I used it (and a lesser amount) rather than the brown sugar called for. I also used coconut aminos mixed into my low sodium soy sauce--they have a similar umami flavor profile but less sodium--always a bonus. For the veggies, broccoli does not agree with me and I had some string beans in my vegetable crisper, so i added those to the pea mix. I think baby bok choy would be a nice addition as well. The carrot and turnip noodles worked well, softening nicely but still retaining texture after boiling, absorbing the flavor of the sauce, and they were just as twirlable/slurpable as pasta to me. Plus, you take out all those calories from the pasta and you can afford to have MORE SAUCE! I have been looking for a good peanut sauce and I think this one is a keeper. 


This dish is linking to Oodles of Noodles at I Heart Cooking Clubs, where we are making noodle (and even veggie *noodle*) filled Ellie Krieger dishes this week. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.

 

11 comments:

  1. I love my spiralizer too but don't use it enough. I've never thought to make turnip noodles but that's something I'm going to try now. Like you though I know the sauce would be my favourite bit and I'd be just eating it off the spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got lots of sugarsnap peas so I am now craving a bowl of this too. Do you think I could sub in lemon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I am not sure if it would be quite the same but worth trying. Maybe use a little less and add more rice vinegar instead.

      Delete
  3. I remember these delicate turnip noodles from one of your blog posts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know where to start (in a good way of course)! Holy cow...who would have thought turnips would make good noodles? When I first saw your picture I thought they were real "legit" noodles. I am really "wowed" by the whole turnip/carrot noodle thing!

    The lime peanut sauce sounds addicting and begs to be made! I bet it would be good as a veggie dip, or just eaten with a spoon:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My spiralized vegetable noodles look like they come from a spiralizer; yours don't. They look so much like store-bought noodle, in a good sense, that you do a double take. Lime-peanut sauce is another winner. Lovely dish, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I love all the ingredients, especially sugar snap peas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing, but turnip noodles are not for me!! I'll replace them with regular noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good--better than they sound. ;-) But that being said, the sauce would certainly be yummy on a bowl of noodles.

      Delete
  8. I can almost smell the aromatic peanut sauce! Your bowl of noodles looks very refreshing, colourful and delicious! Carrot and turnip noodles, now that is something that I love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to trade out for veggie 'noodles'. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)