Friday, February 12, 2016

Eggs in Tomato (with Sweet Potato *Noodles*) A Little Breakfast for Dinner + Some Favorite Tessa Kiros Recipes

When I open a cookbook from Tessa Kiros, I invariably want to curl up in a chair with a pot of tea and read it cover to cover. Her cookbooks have the power to transport me to places and spaces as beautiful as the pictures and the prose contained in them. This week Tessa Kiros is our Monthly Featured Chef at I Heart Cooking Clubs, where we get to cook with one of our beloved previous IHCC chefs. We originally cooked with Tessa back in 2011 and she quickly became a favorite.


So many books and recipes to choose from but I wanted something really quick and simple for a busy week and so I selected her Eggs and Tomato recipe from Apples for Jam. Of course the recipe screams for, and Tessa recommends, good rustic bread for dipping however, I am not eating wheat presently. I still wanted something starch-ish to dip or run through those glorious runny yolks, so I quickly used my spiralizer and sauteed some sweet potato noodles.


I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe--noted in red below.

Eggs in Tomato
Slightly Adapted from Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
(Serves 2)

2 12 Tbsp olive oil (I reduced to 1 Tbsp)
1 clove garlic, peeled and squashed a bit (I used 2)
1/2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
2 basil leaves torn up (+ more to garnish)
2 eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil and garlic in an 8-inch frying pan. When it begins to sizzle and you can smell the garlic, add the tomatoes. Season with salt, and the basil, and cook for a few minutes over medium heat until the tomatoes begin to melt together. 

Reduce the heat and carefully break the eggs into the pan, leaving a little space between them. Cook until the whites just start to set, then make sure the bottoms aren't sticking to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and cook about half a minute until the whites are milky set. Sprinkle a little salt and freshly ground black pepper over the yolks as desired. 

Leave the eggs slightly undercooked and take the pan to the table with the lid on rather than risk having the eggs hard and overcooked as you want to be able to dunk your bread (or sweet potato noodles) in the yolks. 


For the sweet potato, I used the C-Blade on my Inspiralizer which makes a fettuccine sized noodle. I used 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and sauteed the noodles for about 5 minutes until al dente. 


Notes/Results: Simple but really delicious, like so many of Tessa's recipes. The tomatoes cook down to a nice jammy consistency and the eggs nestle right in. Sure, bread would be nice, but the sweet potato noodles were a great pairing with their slight sweetness and firm noodle consistency. The tomato eggs would be great on top of regular pasta as well. This is also a good starting point for adding other ingredients--a bit of harissa or red pepper flakes for spice, maybe some baby spinach or chopped greens...  you get the picture. A great weeknight (or morning) pantry/fridge dinner when you want something delicious but don't want to make a big effort. I will make this again.


To celebrate Tessa Kiros properly, here are six of my favorite of her recipes cooked during our time with her at IHCC and beyond. It's tough to pick out just a handful because I have loved every dish I've cooked with Tessa (you can see the others if you check out the Tessa Kiros label on my blog sidebar) but these are the ones that were most memorable (and most crave-worthy!).

Tomato Soup with Rice & Basil from Recipes and Dreams From An Italian Life
 


Spaghetti Aglio, Olio, Peperoncino & Avocado from Recipes and Dreams From An Italian Life (Still one of my favorite pasta dishes ever!)



Red Bell Pepper & Anchovy Sauce from Venezia 

  

Sage and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes from Apples for Jam



Gelato al Limone (Lemon Ice Cream) from Venezia



Portuguese Purslane Soup from Piri Piri Starfish 


Delicious, right?!?!

You can see what Tessa Kiros dishes our participants made for this week's IHCC Monthly Featured Chef Event by checking out the picture links on the post.

 

7 comments:

  1. Your photos are stunning. The egg dish sounds wonderful. All of the other dishes look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why Tessa was a group favorite. I made two recipes and loved them both. I look forward to making more from her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessa is right at the top of our IHCC list, as far as I'm concerned and her cookbooks are, as you mentioned, simply the best! Apples for Jam is probably my favorite Tessa book. I love it's simple recipes and the fact that they're organized by color. Eggs in Tomato is one of my favorite ways to wake up. This version looks delicious (and I love the pan they're in)!

    Been wanting to try her pasta with the avocado in it. I think it's a unique combination that begs to be tried! You're making me wish I would've done a Tessa roundup, why didn't I think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, these eggs look so good, and using the sweet potato noodles as a wheat-free alternative for soaking up all that eggy, tomatoey goodness was inspired. Great choice xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I love everything on this post. Color, presentation, noodles, everything! They are so beautiful. Excellent choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggs in tomato. So simple, colorful and easy to like. Your recap on Tessa's dishes shows the chef's range and splendid flavors. Enjoy reading about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple and delicious! Using the sweet potato noodles is a clever idea indeed! You have some great looking dishes there!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)