Thursday, October 10, 2013

Toasted Breadcrumb Pasta: Short Order Pantry Fare From Donna Hay


Dishes that can be made from ingredients already in the pantry are a boon. Dishes made from ingredients already in the pantry that can be made in under 20 minutes are even better. Some might call it "Pantry Magic" our theme this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. This simple Toasted Breadcrumb Pasta is from the Short Order section of Off the Shelf by Donna Hay. I often make pasta with a garlicky breadcrumb topping for a fast dinner but seldom think to add anchovies to it as in this recipe. Lots of great flavor in a short amount of time and effort!


Toasted Crumb Pasta
Off The Shelf by Donna Hay
(Serves 4)

Cook 400g (14 oz) spaghetti until al dente, then drain. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 (I used 3) garlic cloves, crushed and 8 anchovy fillets and cook for 1 minute. (I also added 1 pinch red pepper flakes) Add 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until golden. Toss through the hot pasta with chopped parsley.  


Notes/Results: Easy and good--the anchovies and extra garlic add lots of flavor but since the anchovies "melt" into the topping--they are easily hidden and not the whole "hairy" fishies that make me cringe a bit. ;-) I did like the addition of a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little kick. I had some fresh spaghetti in the fridge that I needed to use up but dried spaghetti would be fine and would be better for a more stable Donna Hay "pasta twist" that stands up in the bowl for a pretty photo as fresh pasta just isn't quite as firm. Quick and satisfying--I''ll make this again. 


You can check out the magic that everyone made from their pantries by going to the post at the IHCC site and following the links.  

14 comments:

  1. Mmm I definitely have all these ingredients on hand, always. Such a comforting, quick and easy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite quick recipes from that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like the hairy fishes, great meal you prepared. Pasta came to mind when I saw the word pantry in the theme. Perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great recipe ... I am always amazed that those little fishies 'melt' into sauces so completely, but they do! They pack a real punch flavour-wise! You picked a goodie to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a simple dish but looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melted into something else is the only way I'll eat anchovies but I'm always amazed at the flavour they add (which isn't very fishy at all). Looks like a great recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I love breadcrumbs with pasta, especially made from herb breads, but have never tried with anchovies before. I like anchovies and it sounds great in the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought to add bread crumbs to my pasta! Gotta give it a great little bit of crunch. I know I would love the garlic and anchovie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't beat carb on carb as far as I'm concerned! This is one (of many) of the "short order" ideas that I marked to try. Excellent choice for pantry week, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know...well, I know this looks really wonderful, and I know I could make it without the hairy little fishies, but then it wouldn't be her recipe, and I know that people say you can't really taste those hairy little fishies in something like this, but I always can and I always think, "Why did I just taste that???!!!" So I will just enjoy your lovely photo and forget the fishies in there. lol Nice choice, very "out of the pantry" for the theme for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb - I'm a big fan of toasted breadcrumb pasta. Love the texture difference and as Michelle said, very comforting with the double dose of carbs. Plus, this one is totally pantry magic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this one in that book. I have been using that one for at least a year. Thanks for pointing this one out. Looks yummy - anchovie hair and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I have just had dinner & I would now like a bowl of this! Donna really does to wonders with pasta, love the crispy breadcrumbs & the anchovies & of course that little hit of chilli :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the simplicity of the dish and can just imagine the flavours. Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)