Saturday, August 29, 2009

Papaya Frappe--A Frothy and Fruity "Simple Saturday Sipper"

I recently added a bargain copy of the Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts to my cookbook collection. I was flipping through it today and found a recipe for a "Manhattan Papaya Frappe", their healthy take on the frothy fruit drink served at the Papaya King hot dog stands in New York. Excellent timing because I didn't have a "Simple Saturday Sipper" decided on for today, and in yesterday's CSA box I had a very ripe papaya that needed to be used. The Moosewood Collective adds a cup of fresh or frozen strawberries to their drink but I left mine with just the papaya. apple banana and limes, all from my CSA box along with some pineapple juice. 


Papaya Frappe
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts
(Serves 2-3)

1 papaya, seeded, peeled and sliced
1 banana
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup pineapple juice, or other fruit juice
6 or 7 ice cubes
agave nectar or honey to taste


In a blender , puree the papaya, banana, lime juice and pineapple juice until smooth. Add the ice cubes and whirl until the ice is completely broken up. Taste and add sweetener if desired.


Notes/Results: Yum! I think I found a new use for any extra-ripe papayas that I receive. This is thick, fruity, and refreshing, very drinkable. Moosewood suggests adding "a little rum or campari if the spirit moves you," and I was moved to add some to my second drink, after dinner. A little pineapple rum and it was excellent. The book also says you can add yogurt for a heartier breakfast smoothie and if you can't find papayas, an equal amount of cantaloupe will do--although the drink will be slightly thinner and sweeter. I will make this one again.  


11 comments:

  1. Woo! A Moosewood Cookbook that I don't have! On the list now!

    Great drink, I loves tropical smoothies. I think I will have mine with a splash of vodka, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to the Papaya King. Perhaps I will make this smoothie at home and just say I did. It is probably better anyway! I don't tend to like papayas EXCEPT in smoothies. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be absolutely perfect for today. It's going to be 108 degrees, so I'll take any excuse to stay cool!

    And pineapple rum? I've never heard of it before ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! And I love any Moosewood Cookbook...I don't think I've seen this one, though. Yum...if only I could sip one in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so good!!! I've heard great things about the mossewood boobs

    ReplyDelete
  6. good lord!! that looks good! and ya...pineapple rum? that is calling my name for sure. I think you're gonna be keeping me "happy" every sunday if you keeo this up....hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sounds of this one and I would love to be sipping this one in Hawaii too : ) I found a great book on juices/smoothies up at the mall tonight with all kinds of recipes and thought of you. What is a CSA box? Is it like sponsoring a farmer and they deliver produce/goodies to you? I see this CSA stuff on the blogs all the time and never know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natashya, girlichef, L.K., the Moosewood books are all really great. I hadn't seen this one before until I stumbled on it.

    Kim--Yes, CSA stands for community sponsored agriculture so you pay a fee for a weekly or sometimes biweekly box of local, organic produce that varies based on the season. It supports the farmers who get a better price than if the sold it to a store for resale and it usually is a good deal and fresh produce for the buyer. Lots of areas have them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds close to perfection. I love the Moosewood cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Papaya is the ingredient of the weekend for us in both savory and sweet preparations and we still have some papayas left so I will try this delicious frappe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm.... papaya and banana sound like a delicious combination.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)